Skip to main content

Celebration!

WE DID IT!!!! We have finished Baby Step 1!!! We have a $1000.00 Emergency Fund!!!!

Right now, it feels good to have $1,000.00 in savings. Checking off this step has encouraged us to keep going and we are ready to tackle Step 2, which is to pay off our debt using the Debt Snowball.

Felicia and I worked hard to accomplish this. We had to hold each other accountable to sticking to the budget we both agreed to. It is not easy, especially when you get invited to parties, dinners, and going out with friends, but we are doing good saying no when the money isn't there. Living on the envelope system is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. If the cash is there, we use it and if it is not, we don't spend it. We are working on taking this momentum and applying it to our debt snowball.

Because we budget and stick to it, we knew what day we were hitting this goal and budgeted some celebration money. Felicia and I got her parents to watch the kids while we went to dinner at La Cubanita. It was awesome, we had a good time without feeling guilty for spending money on ourselves and we also talked about how great it will be when we finish Baby Step 2.

When we were done eating, the waitress brought us our check in a little black folder and we got out our envelope and put our cash in the black folder with plastic pocket for credit cards. We kept talking and finished our drinks while we waited for her to bring us the change. We were celebrating so the place we were eating at was a little more expensive then the places we normally go and used a $100.00 bill to pay. The waitress kept walking by and looking at the folder but never picked it up. The fourth time she came to the table, picked up the folder, and asked, "Is your credit card in here?" But before we could answer, she then said, "Wow! You carry the big bucks with you" and then said something like not being used to people using cash. My wife and I looked at each other and smiled, because we knew that our dinner didn't have any interest rates attached to it!

We are living like no one else, so that later we can live like no one else!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am back...hopefully.

Hey Blog, It's me again.  I have taken a long hiatus from you.  Now, I am ready to give us another shot. Why now?  The main reason and the scariest reason is that I am turning 40 this year and I still don't know what I to be when I grow up.  With that milestone approaching, I am hoping you can helm me stay motivated and encouraged to keep soul searching and figure it out before another decade goes by.  When I was turning 30, I was filled with a lot of anxiety and despair and some of those feelings are starting to creep back in now that I am looking at 40.  I know I will have some of those feelings again, but I am hoping with you that I can better manage them. A lot has happened since I tried starting this blog.  My wife and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary this year.  Our two kids are now 13 and 11 years old.  We are living on our own after living with her parents and then my parents for awhile.  These are some of the good things. Some of the not so good,

Back To Square One

Wow! It has been a long time since I have posted on this blog. The last post was September 2009 and that is about the time we fell off the wagon. To make a long story short, in December 2009 my daughter had surgery and had a weeklong stay in the hospital and needed another week of attention at home. This caused added expenses and loss of pay. Instead of staying on track and rebuilding our emergency fund, we just let things fall to the side. When I was blogging about our situation, I had gazelle intensity and my hope is to start blogging again to get it back. So after two years of hiatus, we are back to square one. We need to complete the Baby Step 1 again, ($1,000 Emergency Fund).

Handling Hiccups

Lately, we have had some weird things happen at the house that has caused us to get a little off track with the budget. In spite of these things, we have not touched our emergency fund and have just found other ways around these emergencies. Our dryer and our stove are busted. We are renting and the land lord had us call a appliance warranty company but for both appliances they claim are unfix-able and not under warranty. We are waiting to hear back from the land lords to see what they want to do about it, but nothing yet. The dryer is a simpler problem to work around because we can take the clothes to our parents house and wash them while we visit, Felicia's mom will sometimes take a couple of loads and do them herself for us, or we can go to the laundry mat. The stove on the other hand is little more difficult especially since we don't like to cook anyway and now we have to learn to bake instead of cooking Hamburger Helper. I am kidding but when we cook it is pretty bas