Skip to main content

The Most Expensive Water Jug

This past Sunday was our 2nd class in FPU and it was about money and relationships. During the class, I could not help but look back at how Felicia and I have handled money and our relationship. We have always gotten along real well but when it came to money fights, we were seasoned fighters. Looking back, we had a lot of unnecessary fights.

In a nutshell, it was her job to pay the bills and my job to complain about what happened to all the money. Honestly, that is how it was. I let her pay all the bills, then I would ask how much we had left and when I did not like the answer, I would launch an investigation into the matter. Understandably, she would take offense to the Spanish Inquistion and then the gloves would go on and 12 rounds later nothing would be solved. In hindsight, we both played a part in our financial mess. I chose to turn a blind eye to it and not deal with it; and she would deal with the financial stress with Ebay therapy. We have both gotten a lot better. I do my part with the bills now and she does not need an Ebay fix anymore. (I know she is waiting for me to do my part with the laundry.) Even though it is embarrassing, I admit my attitude so people can see how ridiculous I was being by leaving the burden of the bills on Felicia and then have the audacity to question her decisions. Dave said that both spouses need a vote in how the money is handled and now, the way I see it, if you don't vote then you can't complain.

Marital relationships were not the only relationships Dave talked about. He also talked about kids and money. He challenged parents to teach their kids about money before they graduate from high school so that they don't have to defend themselves from the credit card companies. On of one my first days of college, I remember the credit card guys signing up people at the their table full of "prizes." I saw a water jug that I wanted and signed up for a credit card. The plan was to get the water jug and never charge anything to the card. Then, life happened. My dad and his girlfriend broke up and we were living at his girlfriend's house, so we had to find a place to live. My dad found an apartment for us and I used the credit card to buy things for the apartment. Long story short: that had to be the most expensive water jug ever! By the way, the jug broke before the first bill ever came in.

I want to make sure when my children get older that they know how to handle their money. I sure as hell didn't! I would get paid on Friday and be broke by breakfast Saturday. That, right there, is exactly the same habit I brought into our marriage. We would get paid and go out to a fancy dinner on Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night. And Monday night would be Fight Night! Saving money at that age was out of the question, Savings was for OLD people! I know every kid is going to make mistakes, but I want to do everything I can to limit my children's mistakes. Some of my mistakes still follow me today. I know they are definitely too little now to learn about my money, but hopefully I can get my money in order, so I can teach by example.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am back...hopefully.

Hey Blog, It's me again.  I have taken a long hiatus from you.  Now, I am ready to give us another shot. Why now?  The main reason and the scariest reason is that I am turning 40 this year and I still don't know what I to be when I grow up.  With that milestone approaching, I am hoping you can helm me stay motivated and encouraged to keep soul searching and figure it out before another decade goes by.  When I was turning 30, I was filled with a lot of anxiety and despair and some of those feelings are starting to creep back in now that I am looking at 40.  I know I will have some of those feelings again, but I am hoping with you that I can better manage them. A lot has happened since I tried starting this blog.  My wife and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary this year.  Our two kids are now 13 and 11 years old.  We are living on our own after living with her parents and then my parents for awhile.  These are some of the good things. Some of the not so good,

Back To Square One

Wow! It has been a long time since I have posted on this blog. The last post was September 2009 and that is about the time we fell off the wagon. To make a long story short, in December 2009 my daughter had surgery and had a weeklong stay in the hospital and needed another week of attention at home. This caused added expenses and loss of pay. Instead of staying on track and rebuilding our emergency fund, we just let things fall to the side. When I was blogging about our situation, I had gazelle intensity and my hope is to start blogging again to get it back. So after two years of hiatus, we are back to square one. We need to complete the Baby Step 1 again, ($1,000 Emergency Fund).

Handling Hiccups

Lately, we have had some weird things happen at the house that has caused us to get a little off track with the budget. In spite of these things, we have not touched our emergency fund and have just found other ways around these emergencies. Our dryer and our stove are busted. We are renting and the land lord had us call a appliance warranty company but for both appliances they claim are unfix-able and not under warranty. We are waiting to hear back from the land lords to see what they want to do about it, but nothing yet. The dryer is a simpler problem to work around because we can take the clothes to our parents house and wash them while we visit, Felicia's mom will sometimes take a couple of loads and do them herself for us, or we can go to the laundry mat. The stove on the other hand is little more difficult especially since we don't like to cook anyway and now we have to learn to bake instead of cooking Hamburger Helper. I am kidding but when we cook it is pretty bas